LAST UPDATED: June 3, 2010
Our goal is to be the best baby scrapbook service on the Internet. To achieve this goal, AboutMyBaby must collect information so we can understand how our users visit our site and identify ways in which we can improve our offerings.
Information collected online is usually defined as being either anonymous or personally identifiable.
Anonymous information refers to data that cannot be tied back to a specific individual. For example, AboutMyBaby collects some information each time a visitor comes to our site so we can improve the overall quality of the visitor's online experience. AboutMyBaby collects the visitor's IP address (e.g., whether the user is logged on from aol.com), referral data (e.g., the address of the last URL a user visited prior to clicking through to AboutMyBaby), and browser and platform type (e.g., a Netscape browser on a Macintosh platform). AboutMyBaby collects this user information for purposes of product monitoring and product improvement. You do not have to register with AboutMyBaby before we can collect this anonymous information.
Personally identifiable information refers to data that tells us specifically who you are, such as your name and postal address, which may be collected in addition to the anonymous data described above. AboutMyBaby collects personal information in the following ways:
- AboutMyBaby Registration: You are sharing personally identifiable information with AboutMyBaby when you register with AboutMyBaby. When you register, you will provide AboutMyBaby with your name, postal address, e-mail address, ZIP code or postal code, and other information. While not all of this data is required for our services to function, we are better able to customize your experience if you volunteer complete and accurate information.
- Correspondence: If you contact AboutMyBaby, we may keep a record of that correspondence. We do not collect e-mail addresses of those who communicate with AboutMyBaby via e-mail, we use the information provided so that we may respond to the e-mails.
- Visits: If you visit the AboutMyBaby web site, your visit may be logged and reported back to the site owner for traffic reporting purposes.
What are "cookies" and how does AboutMyBaby use them?
In addition to the personally identifiable information that AboutMyBaby actively collects when you register, we also collect anonymous information passively using cookies. This technology plays an important role in making the Internet work, but there is much confusion among Internet users about what cookies are and how they are used.
A cookie is a small text file containing a unique identification number that is transferred from a Web site to the hard drive of your computer so that the site administrator may identify your computer and passively track its activities on the Web site. This unique number identifies your Web browser --but not you-- to AboutMyBaby's computers whenever you visit AboutMyBaby. A cookie will not allow a Web site to learn any personally identifiable information (such as your real name and address) that you have not otherwise disclosed.
- Save your passwords and preferences so that you will not have to re-enter them during your visit or the next time you visit. This information is normally saved in an encrypted form that only AboutMyBaby can interpret.
- Measure traffic patterns. Without cookies, it could be difficult for AboutMyBaby to know which features are more popular than others. This information helps us to better understand when to launch new services. Since cookies are only text files, they cannot run like a program on your computer, search your computer for other information, or transmit any information to anyone.
How does AboutMyBaby use the information it collects?
Any personally identifiable information you share with AboutMyBaby when registering is maintained and accessible only by AboutMyBaby unless specifically stated otherwise.
The following are examples of how AboutMyBaby may use the information it collects:
AboutMyBaby uses the aggregate data to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our registered users and visitors, to measure user demographics and interests regarding specific areas of AboutMyBaby and to analyze how and where best to use our resources. Without such data, we would not know which parts of AboutMyBaby are the most popular, and we would not be able to change and update the content and services appropriately.
AboutMyBaby may, from time to time, use your information to contact you about changes or enhancements to Products and Services on AboutMyBaby.
AboutMyBaby will disclose your personal information only if consent is given by you or:
- to businesses that assist AboutMyBaby in operating AboutMyBaby and in providing services to AboutMyBaby personnel and customers;
- when permitted or required by law, such as in response to a subpoena or other legal process;
- to a purchaser of all or part of AboutMyBaby's business; or
- to meet legal obligations such as tax and regulatory reporting.
How can you access, edit or delete your information?
Accessing and Editing Personal Information: AboutMyBaby provides its registered users the ability to access and edit the personal information in their user profiles. You can access your user profile by following these steps:
- Go directly to http://www.aboutmybaby.com/ You will receive a prompt to log in with your AboutMyBaby ID and password.
- After you log in, you will be taken to your baby's home page, which contains a link to your Account Info. Click on that link to view and update your profile. If you see a field that needs to be updated, change the appropriate information.
- Make the necessary changes and click the Update button to save your changes.
What kinds of security procedures are in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of your information?
AboutMyBaby has security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of your user data under our control. Only authorized employees have access to the information you provide us. AboutMyBaby has implemented strict rules on employees who have access either to the databases that store user information or to the servers that host our services. While we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration to data will not occur, we take many precautions to prevent such unfortunate occurrences. Any other particularly sensitive information, such as your credit card number, is encrypted prior to transmission.
You are ultimately responsible for the security of your AboutMyBaby ID and password. Please take care when using and storing them. AboutMyBaby recommends that you do not divulge your password to anyone. You should log out of your browser at the end of each computer session to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence, especially if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe.
Please note that AboutMyBaby has designated a Privacy Compliance Officer to handle privacy matters and inquiries regarding personal information.Access, Questions and Concerns
You may easily access and edit your personal information by following the easy steps set out at Accessing and Editing Personal Information above: As well, an individual may submit a written request to access his or her personal information retained by AboutMyBaby.
All correspondence should be sent to the following address:
Privacy Compliance Officer
19 Addington Sq
If you are not satisfied with our response, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada can be reached at
112 Kent Street
Tower B, 3rd Floor
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H3